Romantic gestures, gorgeous flower bouquet deliveries, gifts, and surprises, all things now synonymous with Valentine's Day. Whether a grand or simple gesture, gentlemen and ladies alike, make sure to treat their loved ones to a sweet surprise.
But due to the presence of the Covid-19 pandemic, just like everything else for the last year and some, things are different and vastly so.
However, if these last few months have taught us anything at all, it is to love those we care about a lot harder. Give them their flowers while they can still see and smell them.
They’re restrictions and lockdowns the world over. Understandably, celebrations this year will be different.
Different though in no way means cancelled. It just means you have to tap into your creative sides a bit more.
I encourage you to explore other ways you can enjoy Valentine's day with your partner at home.
To help you out, I've put together this list of 10 things you can do at home to celebrate your loved one.
1. Breakfast In Bed- After a wonderful night, nothing will say I love you or Thank You more than a delicious meal in bed. This is always appreciated. Thoughtful touches such as making heart-shaped pancakes, or serving the meal with flowers picked from the garden would be sure to put a smile on their face.
2. A Massage- You don’t even have to be an expert to do it. Everyone is stressed these days and massages are an excellent way to reduce stress. If you are confident your partner would appreciate this, set it up as a surprise for them!
3. Read Together- Reading something romantic together could be fun! If your Valentine enjoys reading, taking the time to find a romantic story or collection of poems you can read together and discuss. This will be sure to entertain them and bring you closer together.
4. Play a fun Game together - Fun should always be a part of your relationship. Up the ante by playing for a favor :) such as a foot rub *wink wink*. Here is a link to a great list of game options by Freshly Married (link to be embedded https://freshlymarried.com/40-two-player-games-to-play-with-your-spouse/)
5. DIY Gifts are always fun- . . .and inexpensive too. You don't have to be super crafty to make something special- it can be as simple as putting together their favorite sweets and attaching a handmade card!
6. Send them a love letter! Simple and free of cost, yet with the ability to be treasured for a lifetime and beyond. Write from the heart and your spouse will appreciate the sentiments
7. Netflix & Chill - Choose a romantic film, make some popcorn, create a romantic atmosphere to enjoy together.
8. Watch your wedding video- What could be nicer than reminiscing on your wedding day together. Cuddle up together with some beverages and a box of tissues (for the happy tears!) and get ready to relive the best day of your life.
9. Backyard Picnic- If you have outdoor space at home you can enjoy together, why not have a meal under the stars? A change in atmosphere can do wonders for making an activity feel extra special.
10. Dance the night away- Spend some time making a playlist of sentimental songs that express how you feel about your partner play them as loud as you can and invite them to dance.
Bonus Tips! - How to make the activities more special at home
-If you stop by the supermarket, pick up ingredients for your Valentine's favorite meal, a bottle of wine, and/or some chocolates.
- Plan something so that your partner can appreciate the effort put into making the day special. Don't scramble on the day to figure out what to do- it is easy to impress your Valentine when they can clearly see the efforts made.
- Put thought into how you can make the moment stand out from regular activities- be creative! Dim lighting from candles or fairy lights and romantic background music can transform your home and set the mood for an enjoyable evening.